Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Queer Ducks

Here is the source:


It was hoped that feathers would fly when two rare male blue ducks were introduced to the only female of their species in Britain. Ben and Jerry were meant to fall for Cherry and help produce some much-needed ducklings. Instead, the two drakes only had eyes for each other – and have been inseparable ever since.

Paul Stevens, warden of Arundel Wetland Centre in West Sussex, said: “To our surprise the two males really took to each other.

"It would have been nice to get a last clutch of eggs from Cherry but Ben and Jerry do make a lovely couple.”


TV wildlife expert Chris Packham said: “Ducks are one of the few species that show homosexual behaviour regularly.”

But the gay love story does nothing to help the endangered blue duck, with just 2,500 now left in their native New Zealand.

Silly birds, don't they know God doesn't like gays? Do you think they'll go to bird Hell for lying in sin with each other? After all, what would they know about the birds and the bees... ;)

I know what the opposition to equality would say here, "That doesn't prove anything." Sure it does. It reminds us that same sex attraction happens to many different species, and it IS natural. If it is natural God must approve of it contrary to contemporary conservative religious teachings.

It is up to all of us to be informed citizens so we can make intelligent choices in our actions. Listen to what is being said and check the facts for yourself. I make a point to cite my sources so that people can read for themselves the same things I bring attention to and know the truth. The truth is that there are a few odd ducks out there, so what? Individuality neither breaks your leg nor picks your pockets.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Ben and Jerry were given a chance to be their true selves with each other. I hope they will continue to be very happy. Who knows, maybe someday they will have an egg of their own to raise.

Thank-you for this delightful story : )

John Hosty said...

I love the story, I just hope no one is offended by my use of the word "queer". I realize it is a slur but in the context of the referrence no one would have gotten it if I hadn't used the show's name, "Queer Duck".

I'd love to hear from the park authorities as to how many people contacted them requesting that they seperate the two for religious reasons. No, I'm not kidding, I've seen it all at this point and that's what I expect to hear.

Human kind has so much potential, yet we have so far to go. Thanks for posting pnggwnz!

Anonymous said...

Okay .... I've been convinced (in a good way) to share one more comment on this subject...
Your comment about religious folks wanting the ducks separated reminded me
of something.

There is a family I used to know. They are catholic. The husband is a deacon at their church/parish. He made it known to all who would listen (including his 2 grown up daughters) that there would be no unmarried sex in his home. The wife enjoyed having birds and decided to add a pair of lovebirds. The husband realizing that the lovebirds would mate and produce eggs/offspring actually performed a ceremony and married the two lovebirds.

...... no, they didn't have wedding rings (ha ha)

* said...

Queer ducks? lol.
It seems like we will always have some form of discrimation against us, we may always have a long fight and struggle, I suppose that is just the way it goes.

Good post.