Monday, May 04, 2009

A Letter of Response From Congressman Tierney

This letter is a response to my letter asking if Congressman Tierney could make a statement regarding the alleged hate crime involving the victim named Justin Goodwin that occurred over Easter weekend in April:

Dear Mr. Grinnell:

Thank you for your recent e-mail, and for your kind words. I am pleased to respond.

I share your concern with the beating of Justin Goodwin, and I appreciate your bringing the related article in the Gloucester Daily Times to my attention. Be assured I will continue to closely monitor this case, and will keep your comments in mind as I do so. In the meantime, you may be interested to know that, on April 29, 2009, I voted in favor of H.R. 1913, the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, when it was considered by the U.S. House of Representatives. This bill now moves on to the U.S. Senate for consideration, and I will continue to press for its passage and work to advance our shared priorities.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to do so regarding any matter of concern to you.


Sincerely,

John F. Tierney
Member of Congress


Thank you Congressman Tierney for your response, and thank you for your support of the obviously needed hate crimes laws. When we can punish those who wish to harm others for hate's sake in a degree that suits the crime perhaps people will be less likely to follow through with such wickedness.

No comments: