Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Distortions, Oponents, and Gay Marriage

From the Daily Reveille at Louisiana State University:

We've all heard the statistic that divorce rates in America are almost 50 percent, even though divorce is on the decline. But a drop in the number of divorces, coupled with a drop in the number of marriages, could disrupt the institution of marriage as we know it, says a 2005 USA Today article.

More than 80 percent of Americans are Christians, according to a 2003 Gallup poll.

A 2004 CBS News poll stated more than 60 percent of Americans oppose gay marriage.

This is one of the most disturbing and hypocritical positions around today, and I don't understand either argument. Marriage, whether heterosexual or homosexual, should not be an issue when determining who is most suitable to run the country.

The state of marriage in America is disastrous, and it's not the fault of gay people. Even if there were no gay men or lesbians in existence - like the moral utopia of Iran, which is free from the phenomenon of homosexuality - this would still be the case.

I believe all children deserve stable parents, but this doesn't mean we should ban single, divorced and infertile parents from raising children.

I am opposed to the validity of gay marriage in the Church. I believe children deserve capable fathers and mothers, and I believe homosexual acts are sinful.

But I don't believe gay men and lesbians are any more sinful than anyone else - and I can't find any reasonable arguments to bar them from civil unions that aren't applicable to heterosexual couples.

In the Gospel of John, the Bible says, "I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. There also I must lead..."


Read the rest of this interesting opinion at the link provided.

No comments: