Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I Couldn't Agree More

Those who know me know that I am not just a strong defender of marriage rights for everyone, but I also believe very strongly in today's young people. And I have said many times before that my own, very traditional, 31 year marriage is stronger now that everyone in Massachusetts is treated equally.

Well, Iowa Senate Majority leader Mike Gronstal, just said something that expresses my feeling precisely.

His response to Iowa Senate Minority Leader Paul McKinley:

"One of my daughters was in the workplace one day, and her particular workplace at that moment in time, there were a whole bunch of conservative, older men. And those guys were talking about gay marriage. They were talking about discussions going on across the country.

Anyway my daughter Kate, after listening for about 20 minutes, said to them: You guys don't understand. You've already lost. My generation doesn't care.


I think I learned something from my daughter that day, when she said that. And I've talked with other people about it and that's what I see, Senator McKinley. I see a bunch of people that merely want to profess their love for each other, and want state law to recognize that.

Is that so wrong? I dont think that's so wrong. As a matter of fact, last Friday night, I hugged my wife.


You know I've been married for 37 years. I hugged my wife. I felt like our love was just a little more meaningful last Friday night because thousands of other Iowa citizens could hug each other and have the state recognize their love for each other.

No, Senator McKinley, I will not co-sponsor a leadership bill with you.

Amen.

Oh, and the Kids Are Alright

2 comments:

* said...

Seems like today's youth is much more openminded and understanding about GLBT issues than most older folk.
The people I work with, mostly the older women, are always "ew...gay stuff" but the younger people are like "hey whatever".

Yeah for Vermont! Come on NJ!!

John said...

Absolutely, Jelly, and that is at least in part due to to parents who raise their children to think for themselves.

I stick up for the kids all the time, but I'll also stick up for my generation, too. Yeah, we have our faults, but look at the kids we've raised. They vindicate us.